Trying To Make Aether Work On Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" - Blank Page On App Startup

Hi,

Recently I’ve been trying to make Aether work on my Linux Mint 19.3 “Tricia”. Had no problems installing it.

However, when inputting the command: sudo aether; I would get a problem similar to Daniel, on the post: “How do you install Aether on Ubuntu?”; but with the only output being:
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied
My workaround to this was myself creating the directory, but I was still led to another problem.

When inputting the command: sudo aether; I get the output:

johnraiden@Raiden:~$ sudo aether
[sudo] password for johnraiden:
Failed to open connection to “session” message bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are “tcp” and on UNIX “unix”)
/usr/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids: No such file or directory
Checking for update

(aether:4908): libappindicator-WARNING **: 02:10:31.855: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”

(aether:4908): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 02:10:31.855: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport “disabled” for address “disabled:”
Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘/snap/aether/x1/resources/app-update.yml’
at /snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:454:27
at Generator.next ()
From previous event:
at AppImageUpdater.loadUpdateConfig (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:450:33)
at Lazy. (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:142:43)
at Lazy.get value [as value] (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/lazy-val/src/main.ts:18:25)
at /snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:336:46
From previous event:
at AppImageUpdater.getUpdateInfoAndProvider (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:332:43)
at /snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:357:31
at Generator.next ()
From previous event:
at AppImageUpdater.doCheckForUpdates (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:356:34)
at /snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:284:25
at Generator.next ()
at processImmediate (internal/timers.js:443:21)
From previous event:
at AppImageUpdater._checkForUpdates (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:279:33)
at AppImageUpdater.checkForUpdates (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/electron-updater/src/AppUpdater.ts:218:35)
at checkSoftwareUpdate (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/src/app/mainmain.ts:63:27)
at startAutoUpdateCheck (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/src/app/mainmain.ts:67:3)
at App.main (/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/src/app/mainmain.ts:690:3)
at App.emit (events.js:199:15)

When quitting the app:

Gtk-Message: 02:09:20.713: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

While in the Console of the App (Ctrl + Shift + I):

/snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/grpc/src/grpc_extension.js:58 Uncaught Error: Failed to load /snap/aether/x1/resources/app.asar/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/electron-v5.0-linux-x64-glibc/grpc_node.node. /run/user/0/snap.aether/.org.chromium.Chromium.sN4G1H: failed to map segment from shared object
at process.func [as dlopen] (electron/js2c/asar.js:155)
at Object.Module._extensions…node (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:881)
at Object.func [as .node] (electron/js2c/asar.js:164)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:701)
at tryModuleLoad (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:633)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:625)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:739)
at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:14)
at Object. (node_modules/grpc/src/grpc_extension.js:32)
at Object. (node_modules/grpc/src/grpc_extension.js:64

The App would start, but remain blank:

I would post more screenshots, but the site only allows one by new users.

I would appreciate if I could get any hints on making the app working properly. Sorry if something was a misunderstanding on my part, I am not very experienced on these kinds of stuff.

Many Thanks,
Kiyohrosa

Very interesting. I think the last time this happened. It was because the Snap service installed on the OS was too old. Aether uses Snap as its container, so it depends on your OSs snap service to be up to date (assuming that might be the issue).

Have you tried updating your Snap to the last version? Your logs don’t show something obviously wrong except the screenshot, which shows that the app is failing to load a very critical component. Since it’s a known working bundle that we haven’t changed recently, my first guess would be that something on your system is too old, probably Snap.

You might also want to try the following, mentioned in the thread you linked:

sudo snap refresh core —beta
1 Like

Hi again,

Here are the outputs of sudo snap refresh core --beta and snap --version

johnraiden@Raiden:~$ sudo snap refresh core --beta
snap “core” has no updates available
johnraiden@Raiden:~$ snap --version
snap 2.42.5
snapd 2.42.5
series 16
linuxmint 19.3
kernel 5.3.0-28-generic

But, as I was tired at the time I made the post, since I was awake late after midnight, I think I didn’t try a reboot. Well, Aether decided to work now.

The only thing that is really old here is my stupidity. Sorry for wasting your time.

Many Thanks,
Kiyohrosa