How do you install Aether on Ubuntu?

I typed “sudo snap install Aether-2.0.0-dev.5+1811030036.53a6bb49.snap --dangerous” into the Terminal, waited for it to finish installing, clicked on the “Show Applications” icon in my favorites bar, and then clicked the “Aether” icon and Aether won’t open. Why is that?

For me (on Debian) it works (although I get error messages on the terminal and the first run of the new version was an eternal loading screen). Try executing it form the terminal (“aether”) and post your output here.

daniel@G580:~$ aether
daniel@G580:~$ sudo !!
sudo aether
[sudo] password for daniel: 
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x1/snap/aether/x1/Documents': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x1/snap/aether/x1/Desktop': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x1/snap/aether/x1/Downloads': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x1/snap/aether/x1/Music': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x1/snap/aether/x1/Pictures': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x1/snap/aether/x1/Videos': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x1/snap/aether/x1/Templates': No such file or directory
No protocol specified
daniel@G580:~$ cd Downloads
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ ls
 Aether-2.0.0-dev.5+1811030036.53a6bb49.snap     'The Sandlot (1993)'
 'The Goonies 360p.mp4'              'Homeward.Bound.The.Incredible.Journey.1993'
 'The Incredible Journey [1963] Walt Disney.mp4'
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ snap install Aether-2.0.0-dev.5+1811030036.53a6bb49.snap --dangerous
aether 2.0.0-dev.5+1811030036.53a6bb49 installed
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ aether
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ sudo aether
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x2/snap/aether/x2/Documents': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x2/snap/aether/x2/Desktop': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x2/snap/aether/x2/Downloads': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x2/snap/aether/x2/Music': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x2/snap/aether/x2/Pictures': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x2/snap/aether/x2/Videos': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x2/snap/aether/x2/Templates': No such file or directory
No protocol specified
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ sudo snap install Aether-2.0.0-dev.5+1811030036.53a6bb49.snap --dangerous
aether 2.0.0-dev.5+1811030036.53a6bb49 installed
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ sudo aether
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Documents': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Desktop': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Downloads': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Music': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Pictures': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Videos': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Templates': No such file or directory
suNo protocol specified
ddaniel@G580:~/Downloads$ sudo aether
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Documents': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Desktop': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Downloads': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Music': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Pictures': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Videos': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/aether/x3/snap/aether/x3/Templates': No such file or directory
No protocol specified
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ aether
daniel@G580:~/Downloads$ 

I had a similar problem (although not exactly the same) and
sudo snap refresh core --beta
has helped for me. But now I get
http: TLS handshake error from 190.106.200.251:41584: EOF
in the console,seemingly everytime it connects to other node. I am not sure whether this command was the reason, though.

The EOF is normal, that just means it’s a reverse connection. I’m using Golang’s TLS library, but I’m using in a way that it does not expect it to be used. It captures and reverses the socket TLS library opens, use it to connect in the other direction, close the connection, and give the handle back to the TLS handler. At that point, TLS library just sees that it has opened the connection, and it got abruptly closed, but in the meanwhile, I actually used that connection for my own purpose, which TLS library does not see.

In short, it is not an error. No need to worry about it.

I think I didn’t get this error before, even though the port mapping was never supported, but maybe I’m wrong.

Also, I have opened the port manually, shouldn’t a reverse connection not be necessary then? (I have also looked for changes in the port number, but I think the error didn’t occur regardless of whether the port was open either way.)

Other people reverse-connecting to you can also cause that message.