Error: can't start aether

• Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
  • App version : probably 2.0.0-dev.15+2011262249.19338c93 (can’t open the app, downloaded from the snap store)

Expected Behavior
launch the app when I click on the icon (I never launched it before)

Actual behavior
failed to launch
Error: “Desktop file didn’t specify Exec field”

To Reproduce
Just download aether on the snap store with ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS and you will see.

Screenshots
not needed

Additional Information
after this issue I tried to launch aether from the terminal by typing “aetherp2p” and “sudo aetherp2p” and I got these two error messages:
with “aetherp2p”:
2020/12/01 18:48:28.298579 cmd_run.go:1003: WARNING: cannot start document portal: dial unix /run/user/1001/bus: connect: permission denied
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/user/1002’: Permission denied

with “sudo aetherp2p”:
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/user/0’: Permission denied

I don’t know if I just got a bad version of aether or if I just don’t open it correctly.

Historically, whenever this error happened, it usually indicated an issue with the resident Snap installation (i.e. not Aether’s snap, but the overall Snap runtime) — updating Snap (itself) to its latest version usually solved it. Especially if you moved to 20.04 from an earlier version, sometimes Snap itself stays on an older version or in an inconsistent state.

I also use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for testing Aether on Linux, so I can’t replicate this issue. You might want to give a shot to the .deb version (grab the link from here) and try that. If that version works (I suspect it will), then it’s a Snap base library issue.

If you are simply just looking for something that works, the tar is dead simple to set up.

If you’re trying to trouble shoot the snap itself, I can’t be much help. I had a similar issue like this before on the .14 version. I would install the snap, then try to run it and it would just never open either from running in terminal or double clicking on the app.

It works fine with .deb file.
Thank you !

1 Like