Aether working logic, the cache mechanism

Hello b

AetherJ is at the point where I need to understand the purpose and working of the caching mechanism.

It seems that the data is taken from the DB and written to a file and that file is then requested by the Aether client.

It seems some sort of “alternative way” to ResponseBody but it is not easy to guess which is used when.

It would be really nice of you if you could add some info on the subject. A few lines of the thoughts that started it will be enough.

I understand that Aether is your project and it surely is a pain to see a “competitor”, I really am in this for free speech and hopefully we could work together.

Thank you

The point of the caching system is to make sure that not every request made by another node hits the CPU of the node responding to the request. It pre-compiles the data in the backend into static JSON files in the hard drive, so when a request that hits a cache (determined by the time range it asks for) comes from the network, the cache can be directly served from the disk, instead of the CPU having to make a database call, compute it on the fly and serve it.

When an Aether node makes a request to another node, it uses HTTP. If that node uses a HTTP GET request, that request will hit a cache, if available. If the node makes a POST request, that is a request to bypass the cache, and it is a request to the remote node to serve live data instead of serving from cache. The remote can still choose to send a link to a cache as a partial response.

In essence, when a sync happens between two nodes, 99% of that sync is the remote node just reading directly from the cache of the sending node. You can see these cache files in your app folder, they are just JSON files. You will see that they are all timestamp ranged, and they all have headers and manifests, which allows the remote node to efficiently search the caches without having to use the resources of the remote node except bandwidth.

I would recommend you to look at the caches that are generated on your computer first. Those should be helpful in figuring out exactly what kind of data is being cached and how. Once you understand the general format, you might want to attempt a full sync with a remote node you’re running on a different computer on your local network. Listening to the HTTP requests made to that computer and the sequence of those HTTP requests will give you the exact order of HTTP requests that a node makes to another node. That order is how caches are traversed by the remote node. It is a very predictable pattern, so it should be fairly easy to repeat it in Java.

There isn’t much magic happening there, it’s relatively detailed, but it’s low complexity in what it does and why it does it. Fundamentally, it’s there because the computers running Aether aren’t servers and they want to stay idle as much as possible, so we ‘pre-bake’ the data the node has on its database into pre-made JSON files so that when a node syncs with another, that sync is mostly free for the responder.

Thank you for you answer. I am at the stage where I am implementing the serverside, so, I have to parse/response the requests.

Question: What is the simplest way to trigger a full sync from a standard aether node to my new installation ?

Thanks for your valuable help

No worries. There’s a way to do that in the UI actually. If you go to Preferences > Defaults > Advanced (at the bottom) and scroll to the bottom of that page, you’ll see a section where you can insert a node by IP manually. The moment you add a node this way, it’ll automatically attempt to connect to that node.

BTW, you might want to do this on a computer that is not your main Aether node, and block the process from connecting to the Internet. The app normally tries to detect local IPs and not add them to the network, but if you have a particularly weird local network IP it might not be detected and that local IP might end up being added to the network. That has no side effect other than adding that IP to other nodes’ IP tables (since Aether also shared other nodes’ addresses as part of its content to establish connections) as an untrusted node maybe to attempt as a last resort, but it’s still nicer to other people to avoid the risk, and block the Aether backend you’re using for dev purposes from accessing the internet.

Thanks for yor reply, your answer is very velcomed and useful.

I am pupulating the address cache. The rules I remember to have read somewhere are

• No private addresses
  • No “stale” addresses (addresses that have not ping or sync)

Correct ?